“What kind of beast is your salamander?” asked the Prince. “It is hard to tell their kind, your Honor,” said Golg. “For they are too…
California State Parks and the Resource Conservation District of the Santa Monica Mountains are seeking input and suggestions on planning the restoration of the Topanga Lagoon area. Please join in on the discussion via a virtual stakeholder meeting scheduled for Saturday February 27, 2021 from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm. Registration is required—link noted below.
Following a presentation summarizing what was learned from the first public meeting in February 2020, staff members of State Parks and RCDSMM will share updates on how this input has informed the project goals and objectives, results of modeling, opportunities, and constraints. The four project alternatives developed based on previous public and agency input will be discussed, and participants will have an opportunity to further refine the visitor services and recreation elements to help guide the final 30 percent conceptual project development.
• The Topanga Lagoon area was incorporated into Topanga State Park in 2001, and the general plan revision in 2012 identified several goals for the Lower Topanga Zone including:
• Restore Topanga Lagoon without impacting the surf break
• Engage the community to establish goals for the lagoon and visitor serving elements of the project
• Provide a natural gateway into Topanga State Park with minimal built structures
• Provide overnight accommodations (including evaluating opportunities for restoring Topanga Ranch Motel) and appropriate concessions
• Develop interpretive and educational elements for visitors
The Phase 1 Topanga Lagoon Restoration Planning effort is funded by Proposition 12, and administered by the California Coastal Commission and the Santa Monica Bay Restoration Commission. This meeting provides an important opportunity for interested members of the public to share their ideas and provide suggestions.
WHEN: Saturday Feb. 27, 2021 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
REGISTER: Online Registration link at https://www.rcdsmm.org/resources/topanga-lagoon-restoration/
The Topanga Lagoon Restoration Project website will post new information as it becomes available at: https:/ www.rcdsmm.org/resources/topanga-lagoon-restoration/